If you're like most Americans, you're contributing to an IRA or employer-sponsored retirement plan that doesn't allow investments in physical precious metals.
If you want to diversify your holdings into "alternative assets" like gold and silver, you can either go at it yourself, or turn to a company that specializes in these gold IRA accounts.
Goldco Precious Metals is one of these "specialists" ready to facilitate your new gold IRA. In this Goldco review, we'll look at their products, reputation, online ratings, fees, storage options, and more. Is Goldco worthy of your business? Let's dive in.
Goldco Precious metals
Request Your Goldco Investor Kit Today
Discover how physical gold & silver can protect your IRA or investment portfolio...
Goldco Precious Metals
Goldco Precious Metals is a privately held wealth and asset protection firm located in Woodland Hills, California. Founded by Trevor Gerszt in 2006, the company's focus for over fourteen years of business has been in precious metals IRAs.
They pride themselves on being a full-service firm. Outside of gold and silver IRAs, they handle direct purchases of precious metals, and in response to rising demand, have also added cryptocurrency IRAs to their offerings.
"Gold IRA" is a general term for a self-directed IRA that holds precious metals. The bulk of Goldco's dealings are in these gold IRAs. Investors can transfer or rollover a portion of their retirement into precious metals.
The company has a team of account executives that handle every step of the process from setting up a self-directed IRA, to moving funds between custodians, and purchasing the precious metals to be held in the new IRA.
In 2017, Goldco created Coin IRA. A sister company of Goldco Precious Metals, Coin IRA can set up your self-directed IRA and facilitate a transfer or rollover of retirement funds across any of the top cryptocurrencies available.
While you may be contacting "Coin IRA," it's still the Goldco management team facilitating these accounts. In fact, a growing number of Goldco clients are beginning to request both precious metals and cryptocurrencies in their self-directed IRA.
This Goldco review will focus on their precious metals IRAs. A separate Coin IRA review will be posted shortly, but know that your Goldco representative can help clients with both precious metals and "Bitcoin IRA" investments.
How to Set Up an IRA with Goldco
In fourteen years of business, Goldco Precious Metals has streamlined the entire process. Here's what to expect from making your initial contact to finalizing your gold IRA rollover:
Our expert team will work directly with you and the custodian of your existing account to determine exactly what is required for the safe and efficient transfer of funds. We will then provide you with a completed set of documents for your review and approval
- 1Request a Goldco Investor Kit: Fill out Goldco's online form.
- 2A Goldco representative will ensure that you receive their free guide. They will also be able to assist with any questions you may have about the company or their IRA services.
- 3If and when you decide to open an IRA with Goldco, this representative will transfer you to speak with one of their IRA specialists.
- 4Your IRA specialist will work with you directly to establish your self-directed IRA.
- 5They will also work with the custodian of your existing account to determine what is needed to ensure safe and efficient transfer or funds to your new account.
- 6You can then work with Goldco's team in selecting the precious metals to be purchased for your account.
- 7Your Goldco IRA specialist will then have your metals stored directly into your IRA account at your depository of choice (more info below). This can be done in as little as a few days, depending on Goldco's current inventory of precious metals.
Request Your Goldco Investor Kit Today.
Discover how physical gold & silver can supercharge your IRA or investment portfolio...
Goldco's Precious Metals IRA Fees
Gold IRA Custodial Fees
As mentioned above, Goldco's preferred IRA custodian for precious metals is Equity Trust Company. This company has been in business since 1974 and can be trusted with all of your custodial or administrative duties for your account.
Goldco's cost to set up an IRA? $50.00
Wire fee for new accounts? $30.00
The annual custodial fees to maintain your account? $80.00
Gold IRA Vault Storage Fees and Options
The gold IRA specialists offer a few options for storage of your precious metals investments.These options rage between $100-$150 per year:
- Delaware Depository Service Company (DDSC) is one of the largest precious metals IRA depository in the United States. Goldco Precious Metals offers non-segregated vault storage through DDCS for a flat rate of $100 per year.
- Brinks is one of the most widely recognized precious metals IRA depositories. Goldco offers non-segregated storage via Brinks for a flat rate of $100 per year.
- International Depository Services (IDS) is a full-service precious metals depository. Clients that request segregated vault storage have the option of using IDS. The costs? $150 annually for segregated storage.
Note: Goldco recommends their clients go with non-segregated vault storage. You can discuss these options with your Gold IRA specialist and decide which makes the most sense for you.
Total Cost to Set Up a New Gold IRA with Goldco?
Non-segregated vault storage: New clients can expect to pay $260 total in order to open a new Gold IRA. If you go with the segregated vault storage option, simply add $50 to total startup costs.
Account Setup Fees
After the first year, annual fees total $180 for the account.
Again with segregated vault storage option, simply add $50 to the total storage fees...
Annual Storage Fees
Order Your Goldco Investor Guide.
Discover how precious metals can supercharge your IRA or investment portfolio...
If and when you choose to liquidate your account, clients have the option to sell to any dealer of their choice. Goldco has a generous program, and to date has never refused to buy back metals from any of their clients.
Client Reviews and Reputation
In our gold IRA company reviews, we like to curate actual client ratings from trusted third party websites. What do their past customers say about the firm? Below, you'll find links to third party verified reviews:
- Better Business Bureau: The company has been accredited with the BBB since 2011. At the time of this review, they have an A+ rating and 24 reviews. Their reviews average 5 out of 5 stars and their A+ is the top rating possible with the BBB.
- Business Consumer Alliance: Goldco has a AAA rating with the BCA (their top rating).
- TrustLink: Goldco Precious Metals boasts a 5 Star average rating with TrustLink. This is based on 248 verified customer reviews.
- TrustPilot: The Gold IRA specialists also have a 5 Star average rating with TrustPilot based on 509 client reviews.
- Google Reviews: The company has racked up 51 Google reviews with a total average rating of 4.2/5 stars.
- Consumer Affairs: They've racked up a 4.9/5 Star average rating based on 253 customer reviews.
- Yelp: The company has only received two reviews on Yelp so far, but they're both 5 star reviews from satisfied clients...
Note: The team at GoldIRASecrets will do our best to keep these ratings displayed on third party sites updated. Click on the links above to see the latest verified client reviews.
Pros and Cons?
If you're on this site, you're likely doing the smart thing - researching reviews, ratings, and complaints for some of the top gold IRA dealers in the industry.
What We Like About the Company?
Based on our review, we've placed Goldco at the top of our list for precious metals IRA dealers. The company has been in business for over a decade (not a fly-by-night company), their fees are comparable, they've racked up thousands for glowing reviews from past customers, and they have a generous buyback program. They also have a quality selection of precious metals investment options to choose from.
Goldco Complaints: What We Don't Like?
The only criticism we have of this company is that they have high minimums for their gold and silver IRAs. The company will not open a new IRA for under twenty thousand dollars.. While the average gold IRA is usually much higher, this account minimum could price-out some potential investors.
There are competitors that will open new accounts for as low as ten thousand dollars, allowing a wider range of investors the opportunity to diversify into precious metals.
We've actually got on the phone and spoke with members of their team to get a feel of how they do business. We were very pleased with the no-pressure vibe from their phone reps. We are pleased to promote Goldco Precious Metals and add them to the top of our list of gold IRA dealers for 2020.